Radio communications policy
Updated 31-MAR-2017 Roxy Knave
Effective 17-Novemeber-2014 the following changes are in effect regarding group communications as well as the use of the SL-EMA Gridtalkie radios:
*****Gridtalke Radio Setup Instructions*****
1) With your SL-Emergency Management Agency tag active, click the grid talkie giver box located in our dispatch facility
2) Rez and Unpack the box
3) Select the style you wish to wear
The Ear-bud and Blue-tooth are less noticeable, the other models are full sided radios.
Note - only wear one at a time and you have to setup each model that you will wear individually
4) To setup the grid talkie, add the style you have chosen to your avi (You must be wearing the Sl-EMA tag to use the radio)
5) You should get a dialog box, select tuner b, and then select SL-EMA
6) Click on the radio you are wearing, you should get the same dialog box
7) Select Tuner C and then select GMARS-1
Your tuners should now be as follows:
Tuner A (Channel /11) - Dispatch (All Firelands Departments Share this Channel)
Tuner B (Channel /12) - The SL-EMA (Multi-Agency Radio Channel)
Tuner C (Channel /13) - GMARS-1 (Mutual Aid Departments Shared Channel)
8) To set your handle edit the following command and copy/paste into local - replace your badge number, rank and name as applicable
/11 sethandle [SL-EMA] #XXX Name
9) Test all three channels with another member of the SL-EMA
When you first wear the radio, it should initialize and give you a listing of its settings. If it fails to initialize, try taking it off and putting it back on again, remember you must be wearing the group tag and only wear 1 radio at a time.
If you have other huds/equipment that use the same channels or the legacy channels ( /3 /4 and /5) you may need to alter the channels of your other equipment if possible. You can disable the legacy channels on the radio with the command :
/3 legacy off
For Firelands RFD, New Horizons ARFF, and West Metro, and Pony City Fire Dept. our dispatchers will be identified on the radio as "Firecom" or "SL-EMA Firecom Dispatcher"
Firelands Port Authority & Harbor Patrol: our dispatchers will be identified on the radio as "Central" or simply "Dispatch"
Liberty Bay Vol. Fire Dept.: our dispatchers will be identified on the radio as "Communications" or "Firecom"
Liberty Bay Police Dept: our dispatchers will be identified on the radio as "Dispatch"
Basic dispatcher guidelines:
- Dispatchers will announce themselves as "on duty" when available. This should be done in the SL-EMA in world group as well as via radios. That way the departments know when dispatch is available.
- Dispatchers will always acknowledge radio traffic from an agency or officer even for simple status checkups
- Time stamps are important. When one of our dispatchers acknowledges your radio traffic they will respond with the current time as well. This will typically be in SLT
- Dispatchers will announce themselves as "off duty" prior to being unavailable
- Real life / first life always comes first. If a dispatcher has to leave mid-incident they will notify the Officer in Charge) via private message or radio